Connor Legal

Page Banner / Splash Images / Slide


Motor Vehicle Accidents

Connor Legal specializes in motor vehicle accident claims, usually on a “no win – no fee” basis. Contact Dan Connor to discuss your claim.

Car and road accidents are among the most prevalent serious injury-causing incidents in Australia. More than likely, you or someone you know has been in a crash. Being involved in a crash can is often traumatic, and obtaining fair and reasonable compensation is difficult.

Dan Connor of Connor Legal has represented hundreds of people in personal injury claims resulting from car and road accidents. We would be happy to speak to you about your accident claim. We believe each client is an individual, and each claim will be tailored to the facts and circumstances surrounding your accident. While you are focusing on your own recovery Connor Legal will help with all aspects of your claim. We will investigate the facts of your accident, evaluate your compensation, and communicate with the Insurance Commission of WA (“ICWA”) —all in the course of ensuring the best possible outcome for you.

We handle car, truck, motorbike and motor vehicle accident cases involving:

  • Rear end collisions
  • Intersection accidents
  • Alcohol related crashes
  • Hit and run accidents
  • Passenger injuries
  • Driver injuries
  • Motorbike
  • Semi-trailer and truck crashes
  • Pedestrian accidents
  • Bicycle accidents

There is no fee unless there is a recovery as we handle motor vehicle accident claims on a contingent fee basis (No win – No fee).

Do I Have a Claim?

If you have been injured in a road or car accident in Western Australia which wasn’t your fault, you can claim compensation. Even if the accident was partly or even mostly you fault, don’t automatically dismiss the possibility that a claim is not worth pursuing. And don’t let ICWA hurry you through the claims process. It does not cost you anything to contact Connor Legal to determine if you have a valid claim—and it could benefit you significantly.

How Much is My Claim Worth?

In Western Australia, lawyers call compensation “Damages”. Damages are intended to compensate the injured person for what was lost due to the accident or injury. A damages award is meant to put the victim in the same position he or she would have been in as if they had not been injured, from a monetary standpoint (to the extent that’s possible). This means putting a dollar figure on all the consequences of an accident. Some damages are relatively easy to quantify — like reimbursement for property damage and medical expenses. But it’s harder to place a monetary value on pain and suffering or the inability to enjoy hobbies because of physical limitations caused by lingering accident-related injuries.

Here’s a rundown of the different types of damages that are common in many personal injury cases.

Medical treatment. A damages award almost always includes the cost of medical care associated with the accident — reimbursement for treatment you’ve already received and compensation for the estimated cost of medical care you’ll need in the future because of the accident. If ICWA admits liability for your claim it will usually pay your reasonable hospital and medical expenses as they are needed.

Income. You can claim compensation for loss of salary and wages — not just income you’ve already lost but also the income you would have been able to earn in the future, but for your accident caused injuries.

Pain and suffering. You may be entitled to get compensation for pain and serious discomfort you suffered during the accident and in its immediate aftermath — also for any ongoing pain that can be attributed to the accident. There are important restrictions on this type of damages in the Motor Vehicle (Third Party Insurance) Act, 1943.

As you can see, working out how much a claim is worth can be difficult, as the amount of compensation is tailored to a victim’s individual injuries and personal circumstances.

Fatal Road Accidents

A fatal accident is the ultimate road trauma. If you are a close relative of a person killed in a motor vehicle accident, you may be able to claim compensation under the Fatal Accidents Act, 1959. Connor Legal can help you through the process for this type of claim.

Is There a Time Limit to Make a Claim?

There are various time limits applying to motor vehicle accident claims, depending upon your age and situation. Generally, you must commence Court action within 3 years from the date you first became aware of your injury (normally the date of the accident). However different rules apply if you were under 18 years of age at the time you became aware of your accident caused injuries. Fatal Accident claims must be lodged within three years of the date of death. The law relating to claim limitation periods can be complex and you should telephone us to obtain a definitive answer to any question you have regarding limitation periods, The relevant law in Western Australia is in the Limitation Act, 2005.

Who is ICWA?

The Insurance Commission of Western Australia (“ICWA”) is the sole Compulsory Third Party Insurer for motor vehicle personal injuries in Western Australia. It is the government insurer for bodily injury claims in Western Australia. ICWA must be advised as soon as possible, after your accident, of your claim.

Do You Need the Help of a Lawyer?

No matter who caused your crash, and whether or not ICWA admits liability for your claim, you will face difficult opposition and you will need a lawyer to support you through your claim. Why? Insurance companies like ICWA deal with cases like yours all the time. They have knowledge and experience. This is likely your first and only claim. Level the playing field by knowing as much about the system as they do. Phone Connor Legal to find out your rights and entitlements.