Personal Injuries

Accidents and injuries can happen just about anywhere under any circumstances. When you or a family member suffers an accident or gets injured, the consequences can be devastating. A injured person’s life can become strained financially, emotionally, physically, and even socially. Careers can be affected with time off work, and when injuries are serious enough, permanent pain and suffering can blight an accident victim’s future and that of his or her family. 

Connor Legal will help by doing the following:

  • Negotiating with insurance companies
  • Representing our clients in court
  • Maximizing compensation to cover all related damages including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering
  • Minimizing fault for an accident on behalf of the victim
  • Collecting and organizing witness statements, police reports, medical documents, and all other paperwork requirements
  • Filing claims on the victim’s behalf
  • Keeping our clients up-to-date on their lawsuit’s progress with constant communication

We will usually take injury claims on a “no win – no fee” basis.

Car Accident Claims

These may include injuries resulting from a car, motorbike, truck, bicycle or pedestrian accident.

If your injury was a result of negligent driving of any motor vehicle, the Insurance Commission of Western Australia (ICWA), will represent the driver at fault and pay any compensation.

Even if you are partially at fault for an accident, you may still have a claim – ring us to find out.

The law relating to insurance for these claims is the Motor Vehicle (Third Party Insurance) Act 1943 (WA).

Workers Compensation

Every worker in Western Australia is covered for workers compensation The Western Australian workers’ compensation and injury management scheme is based on a ‘no-fault’ principle. This means you do not have to establish that your employer was at fault or negligent to make a claim. You are entitled to compensation if you are a worker, suffer an injury or develop a disease at work and require medical treatment or time off work as a result. We can help you as follows:

  • If the insurer knocks back your claim. Just because the insurer
  • If you think that you are being underpaid on comp
  • We can let you know if you can claim additional compensation under the common law – ring us now because there are time limitations, and your claim may expire.
  • If the insurer says that you are fit for work, when you aren’t.
  • If you are served wit a section 61 Notice, or an application under section 62 to reduce your payments.
  • If the insurer refuses to pay you medical bills.
  • If the insurer makes you a “lump-sum” offer to settle your claim.

The workers compensation insurer is your employer’s insurer and not your insurer so it’s not independent and will not look after your interests. The Workers’ Compensation and Injury Management Act 1981 is the applicable law.

Public Liability

Public liability claims may be necessary when you are injured on another person’s property due to their failure to provide reasonably safe conditions. That property could be anything from a residential house to a shopping centre or a public park.

When you are a customer, resident, or guest on these premises, you are owed a duty of care. That means if walkways are slippery, the lighting is inadequate, or structures are unstable, the property owner could be held liable for any accidents and injuries that occur.

If you have been injured by faulty appliances tools or equipment, the manufacturer or supplier of the item could be responsible for any injuries.

Criminal Injuries Compensation

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Act 2003 provides for the payment of compensation to victims of offences committed after 22 January 1971 in some circumstances, and for related matters.

If you have been assaulted, then you may have a claim for compensation against the perpetrator.

The amount of compensation that you receive for a successful claim will depend on the extent of your injuries and losses you have suffered. The maximum compensation that may be awarded also depends on the date of the offence:

On or after 1 January 2004 -$75,000

Between 1 July 1991 and 31 December 2003 -$50,000

Between 1 January 1986 and 30 June 1991 – $20,000

Between 1 January 1983 and 31 December 1985  – $15,000

Between 18 October 1976 and 31 December 1982  – $7,500

Between 22 January 1971 and 17 October 1976  –  $2,000

Dog Attacks

In WA, every person responsible for controlling a dog commits an offence if that dog attacks or chases any person or animal. The owner of the dog is liable for damages for any injury to a person or animal. Further, a person in control of the dog may also be liable.

The law relating to dogs is set out in the Dog Act 1976 (WA).